My hands may be SMALL, but my ideas are BIG

3/30/2009

What Inspires You? Guest Post VI: Samantha Karol

Sam and I "met" online through a combination of our blogs, BrazenCareerist and Twitter--all reasons why I love this project and our generation. Check out Sam's spin on this sixth series of What Inspires You? Then stay tuned, the two of us have another project up our sleeves...

Samantha Karol
Bio: Samantha is a 20-something Marketing Assistant at online ad network, CPX Interactive. She loves writing, watching football, ice cream, and social networking. To learn more about her, check out this post on her blog.

Inspiration can be found in many places, but for me, it’s not about what inspires me, but who inspires me. Certain kinds of people inspire me, those who embody particular values, ideals, or characteristics. I often find that those who inspire me are those I admire and aspire to be like, and it’s no coincidence that those words all share the same root.

Over the past few months, we’ve been hearing a lot about greedy CEOs who refuse to give up their million dollar bonuses, even as their companies struggle. I am proud to work for a company that is led by people who are the exact opposite. They are generous and giving, instead of greedy, and they follow the mantra that “with power comes responsibility.” Their selfless philanthropic efforts, like donating the money to build a community center in Ecuador, inspire me to be a better person.

I am also inspired by those who are not afraid to stand up for something they believe in, make their voice heard, stand up to authority, and work for change. Those who sacrifice for others, put themselves in harm’s way to protect someone else or to keep their country safe are an inspiration. People like the brave German citizens during WWII who said, this is not right, and risked their lives in an effort to save the lives of others. And, I am inspired by people who overcome hardship, look fear in the face and vow not to be afraid, who confront illness with perseverance and fight, and refuse to give up. My loved ones, who are no longer with me, inspire me to make the most of every day, and live my life to the fullest.

The dictionary definitions of inspiration often refer to the influence of a divine, supernatural, or holy force. There are certainly some aspects of religion that may serve as inspiration, but I believe that where we find inspiration has a lot to do with who we are, our passions and goals, and what matters to us. An artist might find inspiration in a beautiful sunset, an athlete in the record setters of the past, a chef in a new taste discovered in foreign cuisine. However, it's important to remember that simple things can inspire others too: a kind word, a selfless act, or a generous gift. You might be an inspiration to someone and not even know it. No pressure.

blog comments powered by Disqus