My hands may be SMALL, but my ideas are BIG

3/24/2009

Don't Get Yourself Fired Because of Twitter

Ironically, a friend not on Twitter, but who makes fun of me because I am sent me this article from MSNBC, "Twitter Gets You Fired in 140 Characters or Less."
Although this story may not be breaking news, I still can't help but think about its relevancy. The article talks about a recent tweet by one would-be Cisco employee about his job offer. To illustrate, here’s the tweet the now Web-infamous "theconnor" shared with the world:

"Cisco just offered me a job! Now I have to weigh the utility of a fatty paycheck against the daily commute to San Jose and hating the work.”

Although he only has 45 followers on Twitter, it doesn't mean a brand or company such as Cisco can't view the Tweet. Furthermore, nothing you put on the Internet is ever private. Duh.

I can sympathize, here (well only a little) but the bigger picture here, is that the Internet and tools such as Twitter and Facebook have revolutionized and changed our job market and hiring strategy. Buzz terms like 'personal branding' and to Google someone before they come in for an interview isn't uncommon. I've referenced before in a blog post to be aware of how you represent yourself online and also keep tabs on your online visibility. I believe in authenticity and think that you should be honest and open--so I stress here, be yourself, but I think that talking publicly about a job offer that you actually don't want (unless you really want to be fired) isn't a smart move.

Lesson learned here: The Internet can get you fired. Be careful about what you say and know that brands, companies and individuals can see and hear what you're talking about. Unless you're comfortable with it being public, I say, better left unsaid or offline.

What sort of online experiences have you found in your company or with an individual speaking out against something, that backfired?

Photo Credit: Duane Hoffmann / msnbc.com
blog comments powered by Disqus